Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Ammani Asked, I Wrote 9

It's been 14 years. But will Ananthasayanam ever get it right?

When I got Ananthasayanam’s email, I burst out laughing! The poor devil, I thought. The quirky foibles one acquires in one’s younger years can never be overcome easily. I used to despair whenever he would offer to drive me around. I’d say, Anantha, take a right from the roundabout and he’d turn left…. Or…let us take the left exit to the Mall, I’d say and he’d immediately switch lanes and go to the extreme right…He was disoriented when it came to right and left, ‘direction dyslexic’. Otherwise a brilliant guy… He’ll get by, I thought… may end up spending more on petrol!That was long ago. But now that he has become the captain of S S Sagarkanya and is charting his course in the vast oceans, he won’t have problems, I thought. Old habits sure die hard…In his email, Anantha tells me he is perpetually confused between starboard and port and to avoid ridicule from his crew, he has tattooed a star on his right palm…so next time he hollers out instructions, he can do so confidently…er….after a quick glance at his palm, first. Necessity IS the mother of inventiveness!!!

No comments: